Belrose Kindergarten’s school readiness program provides children with the tools they need to be well prepared for school and ultimately a happy and successful life.
Each child is helped to establish solid foundations for learning so they can reach their full potential. By the time children are five, the aim is to have them socially and emotionally competent so they can deal with the challenges that lie ahead at school.
The following are the important skills children will work on at the Centre in order to prepare them for school:
- Building their attention span and developing some listening and concentration skills
- Understanding the importance of appropriate behaviour in large and small group situations
- Sharing and turn taking
- Having input in group situations
- Managing emotions
- Having the ability to express wishes or needs verbally
- Being self sufficient in daily routines and separating happily from parents to play alongside other children
- Being able to negotiate and compromise
- Having the ability to collaborate
- Being able to ask for help
- Having problem solving, organisation and planning skills and the ability to work towards realistic goals
- Displaying a positive attitude and positive emotion
- Building perseverance
- Building resilience
- Being happy within themselves and confident enough to try new things
At the Centre, children will develop a true regard for learning and the desire to understand more about their world as well as how and why things happen. This usually leads to a developing interest in the written language, in particular, recognising and labeling familiar signs including their name. However this is just one part of the big picture.